Quick admin note

Following a string of spam attacks, I’m tinkering with the settings to try to allow it to catch more spam. I’ve tightened a few controls to “wait list” comments that might be spam. (These aren’t deleted, but they’re kept in a queue until they can be individually approved). I’m trying to keep the settings right, and I don’t think that I’ll be catching many legit comments, but there’s a chance that your comment will be put on a wait list, as I figure out how best to work with spam fighting tools. I’m not sure if this particular tool is going to work well. Apologies in advance for any inadvertent wait listing.

7 comments for “Quick admin note

1. November 26, 2004 at 11:29 pm

Testing again.

2. November 27, 2004 at 4:15 pm

Well, in the fine tradition that all comments should eventually turn into SSM discusions, I link to:

(and, test the controls to see if short comments with a link get grabbed).

3. Kaimi
    November 29, 2004 at 5:23 pm

FYI all (especially those using WP blogs), this is what I implemented (and it seems to be working!).

// Further flood-protection
    if ($url) {
    $lastten = $wpdb->get_var(“SELECT comment_date FROM $tablecomments WHERE comment_author_url = ‘$url’ ORDER BY comment_date DESC LIMIT 10,1”);
    if (!empty($lastten))
    {
    $date_lastten= mysql2date(‘U’, $lastten);
    $date_newcomment= mysql2date(‘U’, $now);
    if (($date_newcomment – $date_lastten) LESS THAN* 86400)
    $approved = 0;
    }
    }

*NOTE: For some reason, it’s not letting me use the real “less than” sign here. That’s what I have in the code, of course.

What it does (I think) is check back for the past ten comments using the same URL. So if I enter a comment with the URL kaimipono.com, it will check back on the last ten comments that have been entered with that URL. If the tenth one back is less than a day old, it will automatically put my comment in the wait list for individual approval or deletion.

This means that if I want to advertise my new gambling / pr0n / whatever site by adding 50 new comments at midnight when no one is watching the blog, I won’t actually be able to get 50 comments up. After the first 10, all additional comments with that same URL will be automatically waitlisted.

4. November 30, 2004 at 10:34 pm