The Mormon Social Science Association, under the direction of editors John Hoffman, Cardell Jacobsen, and Tim Heaton of BYU’s Department of Sociology, is currently putting together a volume of essays that retrospectively assess O’Dea’s 1957 classic The Mormons. The plan is that the book will come out in 2007, the fiftieth anniversary of O’Dea’s book.
The Spring 2006 issue of the MSSA’s Newsletter lists the proposed (still tentative, of course) chapters of the book:
1. Lynn England, â€œThomas Oâ€™Dea: The New Spirit and Science of Mormon Studies.â€?
2. Douglas Davies, â€œMastery and Mystery.â€?
3. O. Kendall White, Jr., â€œThomas Oâ€™Dea on Mormon Intellectual Life.â€?
4. Melvyn Hammarberg, â€œThomas Oâ€™Deaâ€™s The Mormons: The Revitalization Movement.â€?
5. Danny L. Jorgensen, â€œMormonism and Modernity: Thomas F. Oâ€™Deaâ€™s Mormons.â€?
6. Terryl Givens, â€œOn Oâ€™Deaâ€™s Treatment of the Book of Mormon.â€?
7. Armand Mauss, â€œFrom Near-Nation to Worldwide Religion.â€?
8. Loren Marks and Brent D. Beal, â€œPreserving Peculiarity as a People: Mormon Distinctiveness in Values and Internal Structure.â€?
9. Timothy B. Smith, â€œHealth and Wellbeing among Mormons: A Review of Recent Research.â€?
10. Armand Mauss, â€œOâ€™Dea and the Race Issue in Mormonism.â€?
11. Melvyn Hammarberg, â€œLDS Sexual Ethics as a Source of Strain within Mormonism.â€?
12. Rick Phillips, â€œThe Two Churches of Mormonism.â€?
13. Carrie Miles, â€œConflicts Inherent in LDS â€˜Family Ideals Versus Equality of Women.â€™â€?
14. Janet Bennion, â€œMormon Womenâ€™s Issues in the 21st Century.â€?
15. Susan Ellis, â€œThe Voices of Mormon Women.â€?
16. David G. Stewart, Jr., â€œGrowth of the LDS Church: Retention, Internationalization, and Contextualization.â€?
17. Sarah Busse Spencer, â€œMormons and Globalization in the 21st Century.â€?
18. David Clark Knowlton, â€œGo Ye to All the World: The LDS Church and the Organization of International Society.â€?
19. Henri Gooren, â€œThe Mormons of the World: The Meaning of LDS Membership in Central America.â€?
20. Timothy Smith and Lynn Wilder, â€œStrangers and Foreigners: Toward the Integration of Cultures in an International Church.â€?
21. Barry Balleck and Michael Nielson, â€œMormons and War.â€?
Is there anything in the book that is not listed but that you’d like to see included? Which chapter sounds most interesting? Which do you think will add the most to the book? Which do you think will have the most to say about the strengths or weaknesses of O’Dea’s book?