It’s pretty obvious that wheat is spiritually required. Let’s list some reasons why:
1. The Doctrine and Covenants says directly, “wheat for man.”
2. Jesus ate wheat, and specifically gave wheat to his followers and commanded them to eat it. Multiple times.
3. Jesus specifically said that wheat is righteousness.
4. There are about a zillion other scriptural references to wheat.
5. Modern prophets have said a whole bunch of things about the awesomeness of wheat.
6. It is objective fact that wheat is yummy.
Now I realize, there are some people who may struggle with living this principle. Celiac folk, gluten-allergy people, or others who may be tempted by non-wheat attraction.
But it’s pretty clear that most people do just fine eating wheat. I personally eat wheat all the time. So do several of my friends! And I knew someone who used to not like wheat, but then he repented and now he loves wheat.
Finally, we should remember that God doesn’t change eternal principles just because some people are too weak or misguided to live them.
So, pull up that bowl of cracked-wheat cereal, and brew yourself a mug of Postum. And the next time that some unrighteous soul tells you they aren’t eating wheat (whether ostensibly for health reasons or out of mere preference) please tell them as gently as possible that they’re going to hell.